13.12.09

Don't Call Between Two and Four


 Our adopted street kitten Pixel (back when he was little and cute) demonstrating appropriate Israeli behavior between 2-4


In the US, I knew it was rude to call someone's home before, oh, 8:30 AM or after 9:30 PM. But in Israel, there's an extra layer to this rule: don't call between 2 and 4 PM. This is reserved as siesta time in Israel, perhaps because in the days before air conditioning it was too hot to do anything but nap at this time. In fact, lots of stores and offices in Israel are open from 10:00 to 1:00 and then again from 4:00 to 7:00... the middle of the day is reserved for lunch (the biggest meal of the day in Israel) and sleep.

Me, I don't nap. I can sleep in in the morning as late as my schedule lets me, but I can't lie down and sleep in the middle of the day. But whether you nap or not, remember: don't call any Israeli friend between two and four! When I forget and violate this rule, I'm often greeted by groggy, irritated Israeli voices. On the other hand, this is a good way to learn some new words.

P.S. Happy Chanukah! The menorahs are out in full force in Israel... :)

5 comments:

  1. Oy, naptime? I never liked it as a child, and I still don't. I think I inherited that Northern European Protestant work ethic. I firmly believe the concept of "Arbeitskur:" "if you're sick, work some more and you'll be so busy you won't have time to be sick."

    Happy Chanukah Maya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha... Bryan, I have to admit that my reasons for not napping aren't nearly as Protestant. :) I'll remember that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe "good way to learn some new words" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this custom!!! As a committed napper, I really appreciate a country that understands the importance of proper rest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea Israel had a long lunch/siesta break.
    As a high school student who only seems to get enough sleep during summer, siesta is like my dream. I want nationwide naps, and hearing that Israel has this time period makes me want to be Israeli even more ;P !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails